CoFed’s Mission is to empower communities of students across North America to help them create food co-operatives. These financially sustainable campus hubs for food and social justice activism develop the leaders for a healthy tomorrow. CoFed uses a reproducible, cooperative development model to teach students about food co-operatives. CoFed helps students create a scalable network of independent student-run businesses, and create new leaders in the food sustainability movement. CoFed has a commitment to share skills, resources, and eventually, start-up capital.
CoFED is building a youth-led movement for food justice & co-ops! Since 2011 we have developed 11 new cooperative projects, trained over 500 students on over 60 campuses, and cultivated a community of nearly 4,000 supporters.
GOALS & OBJECTIVES
- To train 200 new leaders in the food sustainability movement.
- To create 35 new financially-viable, student-run coops in regional clusters in North America.
- To give 1 million college students the choice to actively participate in their food system.
To accomplish these goals, CoFED will create:
- An evolving best-practices model
- A support network
- A peer-based training program
PRINCIPLES & VALUES
Guidelines for potential project teams include:
- Create an ethical food system through community-based, fair, ecologically sound and humane food as defined by the Real Food Guidelines.
- Ensure broad participation by creating systems to engage all youth, from consumers and career organizers in paths of long-term growth and leadership.
- Exemplify the financial power of equitably and ethically pooled resources through operating cooperatively according to the ICA principles.
- Implement action plans that sustain and grow themselves, with attention to inspirational, viral messaging.
- Support collaboration by focusing on network driven strategies that utilize all resources and benefit all stakeholders.
Please consider making a donation to CoFED!
You can Donate Online or make checks payable to ISI with “CoFED” included in the memo and send checks to ISI:
887 Sonoma Ave, #23
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
Connect with CoFED online for news and updates!